Saturday, November 26, 2011

Cold, FREEZING, Wet, Sorry-For-Itself Duck!

Cold water does not roll off this ducks back!

I was feeling all proud and dedicated when I headed off to the outdoor pool to get my workout done.  Never mind that it was 60 and falling with a strong wind blowing out of the arctic north!!  I was a hardy duck!  I was a dedicated duck!  I was a duck that would have no trouble finding an open lane!

Ok, seriously? Was everyone in Austin logging a swim workout today?  What is wrong with these people?  Don't they know it's freezing out here.

So, I managed to be so obvious about my displeasure at the wind... taking my rest intervals with little more than my eyeballs above the water and ultimately doing a few extra laps because I didn't want to get out ... that I had half the penguins there laughing at me.  Stooopid penguins!  They may think ice flows are fun but I do not!!  (Actually, it was all in good fun and I am sure that their mental acuities equal or exceed my own.)

Tomorrow I am going to try for my first group ride in Austin.  I am worried because I am still so weak on the hills.  I find that my ego makes it difficult for me to tolerate the beginner group but I am worried that I will not be able to handle the climbing with the intermediate group.  In Florida, I was at the front of the intermediate or "B" groups and at the rear of the advanced or "A" groups.  I just don't know if I will be able to enjoy myself if there is no challenge but the hills in the area mean that I could easily get dropped on a long climb even if my overall pace for the ride was comparable.  I know DW would prefer the no-drop beginner group but I am not sure that one will be entertaining enough to even warrant loading up the bike.  Now I realize I am being childish, but... well, no "buts"... I am being childish.

I'll let you know how it works out.  If it is 30-something degrees like it might be, I may opt for the trainer!

COLDWINTERTERRIBLECOLDHORRIBLECOLDICKYBADNASTYCOLDWINTER!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment