Wednesday, October 19, 2011

All Moved In and Loving This Town!

I am all moved in (as you may have gathered from the title of the post.. feelin' clever!) and aside from a case of cardboard poisoning, appear to have survived the whole experience rather well.  So far, I am loving Austin.  This is one excellent town.  Bikers abound.  Runners abound.  Kayakers abound.  Musicians abound. I think I am about the only thing here with all feet on the ground, though I will bound just as soon as I can!  Seriously, this might be the most bike friendly, outdoorsy city I have ever seen.  

Now that I have that little bit of gushing out of my system, I have other news.  I started back cautiously this week.  I am not running but carefully... like a child handling a bird's nest... began training again.  Just a little bike ride.

The first trip out felt horrid.  I came home and wanted to cry.  I had to get off my bike after about ten miles because I nearly passed out.  I didn't have my HR monitor on but it felt like it was about to leap through my mouth and go screaming down the veloway.  I got back on after a couple of minutes and cautiously peddled back to the car.

Today was a different story.  I was doing low intensity work, just spinning really, but I found the zone.  I was churning out my miles with a smile.  I felt like my form was pretty good too.  Knees in, back flat, pulling around the back side of the pedal stroke, rhythmic, turning the crank like a piston...  Pure bliss.  I didn't have a long workout on the schedule, but after so much forced downtime, I am just happy to be back in the saddle!  Tomorrow I get back in the pool.

The rest of this week and next are all swim-bike.  I don't know when the run will appear but I am fairly nervous and anxious about it.  It has been such a long road this year and I am so afraid that I will try to run and go back to square one.

It has occurred to me that it would be easy right now to give up on running, say I can't, walk away and put it into the past.  But that is not what I want.  I want this, running and particularly triathlon, to be a part of my life.   I took the other road once before when I ushered martial arts training into my history.  Even though I stand by that decision, there isn't a day that I at least for a moment consider going back.  I don't believe that tri's have the same intrinsically detrimental movements that martial arts had and that, with the right conditioning, I should be able to train and race well into the future.   I certainly hope so.

Fingers crossed!


No comments:

Post a Comment