Saturday, August 10, 2013

A Little Gratitude.


I have a lot of friends who raced in the USAT Age Group National Championships today.  As much as I wanted to be there, as the reports started rolling in I realized that I would have been in for a very bad day.  The issues I am currently dealing with would have left me compromised in the swim start, which has been described as a melee, and there is a good chance that the experience would have mad CapTex look like a walk in the park.

I cannot thank my coach enough for having the guts to tell me not to race.

Sometimes as professionals, it can be tough for coaches to make calls like that.  Clients, especially adult amateurs, can often have the attitude that if you won't tell me what I want to hear, someone else will.  For coaches (and riding instructors and all other people in positions like these), leveling the truth at someone can often result in a loss of business/income.  It puts these professionals in the position of having to choose between compromising their principles and compromising their income.  Nobody wants to make that call.

Brian took the high road and I am grateful that he did.


No comments:

Post a Comment