Sunday, September 11, 2011

Duck in the Wind

I am still traveling.  This summer has brought me to the edge of the Grand Traverse Bay, the fields and farms of the Bluegrass region, and now to Texas hill country.  I had a week off between Kentucky and Texas and spent some serious quality time in the state and national forests between Lexington and Dallas. Hiking and trail running renewed my love for the run.   My foot seemed inclined to forgive me my indiscretions as well.

However, after arriving in Texas, renewed and refreshed... feeling strong, I attempted a short, slow run one night on a treadmill.  My ankle and foot flared up worse than ever and I am coming to the realization that if I am able to run again, it won't be for a very long time.  Night after night, working on my feet, the injury has gotten progressively worse.  I am deeply concerned about the state of the Achilles tendon, which unlike plantar fasciitis, can get worse and result in a rupture which would prevent me from working as well as working out.  I am reluctantly taking the need for R&R seriously.

There is a lot of upheaval in my life right now and I am considering a move to alleviate the volume of travel while increasing my workload.  Hours spent in the car are neither profitable, productive or enjoyable.  If I sacrifice proximity to the ocean and living every day under the shade of coconut palms, I may be able to improve the overall quality of life.   These are the big questions and I need a few long hours on the bicycle to figure it out.

It's fine for dust to be in the wind, but these days, I am in the wind.  The feeling is both disconcerting and liberating at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment