Thursday, November 15, 2012

Discovering The Protest Ride.

One of the cool things about traveling all the time is that you get lost... often.  My GPS has decided that with it's latest update it was going to forget the ideas of right and left, particularly as they pertain to North, South, East, and West.  Way to GPS.

So in a recent trip, on one of those occasions that it was saying turn right on North Blah Blah St., when in fact a right would put you onto SOUTH Blah Blah St., I followed the wrong part of the direction.  I ended up wandering off down some road for a while before I realized my mistake.



Sometimes, getting a little lost can be very rewarding.  I discovered this incredibly cool bit of sculpture on someone's lawn.  I just couldn't resist and pass it by.

It had a plate that was difficult to read but named a ride and a date that this apparently honors.
It reads Protest Ride, CAG 2011.  Most protest rides are in honor of or prompted by a cyclist's death.
This is certainly the best bit of lawn sculpture I have ever seen.  Each rider is an individual piece cut from sheet metal and there are a variety of rider positions.  I don't have any idea what the yellow rider signifies but in light of the plate, I suspect it may represent a fallen member of their personal peloton.  Regardless, it was an amazing thing to see and getting lost TOTALLY worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment