Tuesday, June 19, 2012

...Father's Day

Lately, I have had some really cool settings for my workouts.  Here are a few of the pictures I have taken.

These were taken along the Town Lake Trail in Austin, TX.




I took these on a day when I had a bad run and took a minute to take a deep breath and look around.  It kind of changed my attitude that day.

Then another day, after a GREAT swim in a new pool, I snapped this.  It was a swimmer's paradise!!  How often can you enjoy an outdoor long course pool with five lanes and only one other swimmer!


Most recently, I have been training in Waco, TX.  I wasn't sure if there was any nice place to train until I discovered Cameron Park.  At the entrance, it looked like a nice, pleasant park trail.  


As I went deeper into it, it turned out to be a fantastic, challenging hike/mountain bike trail which was a blast to run on!  I did not, however, handle that trail like a sure footed... anything.  Ten minutes into the run, I caught a toe on a rock and went sprawling on my face.  I got up, dusted myself off, and headed on down the trail.  Aside from getting some knowing smiles from other runners ("Since you are clearly going to slow to be evading an assailant, you must just be clumsy!"), I was really no worse for wear!  


On another note, this weekend was Father's Day.  I have no pictures of my father as they were destroyed in the water/mold incident.  My father was, among other things, a runner.  He ran Western States in 1981. He told me about triathlon when I was a little kid, and triathlon wasn't much older than I was.  I never imagined it would become the love of my life.  He gave me many gifts, that is one.  He succumbed to cancer 21 years ago.  He chose the music to be played at his funeral.  He chose this.

 

Happy Father's Day, Dad.  I miss you as much today as I ever have.

No comments:

Post a Comment