Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Raining in Austin

Yesterday I had a swim lesson with the Texas Fish, AF.  I haven't had one of those since prior to puberty.  Still, it was a great lesson and the drills translated almost immediately into a smoother, more powerful stroke.  The drills were sculling and one arm drills.

Sculling is this exercise where you wave your hands back and forth through the water and go absolutely NOWHERE!!  One arm drills are where you swim with one arm relaxed at your side and try not to drown.  Both are useful.

Then I went to the veloway to do some intervals.  On the way there, the skies opened up.  When I got there it continued to rain lightly.  I did a half loop and couldn't go fast enough to get my heart rate off the couch or forget that I was wet and freezing, without risking a trip to the hospital.  The bike got loaded back up, taken home and the intervals got done on the trainer.  The thing about the trainer is that by the time my heart rate reaches the desired zone, my perceived exertion is off the chart.  A steady state interval felt like cycling to the moon and back.  Still, it got done.

This morning at 4:30 a storm came through the city.  I am awake and blogging because I woke up not only due to the sounds of the storm, but the presence of two very concerned pooches.  You see, the best way to shelter from a storm is to occupy the exact same space as Mom.  Laws of physics be damned! Sleep, after thirty minutes of that, seemed like a lost cause.

However, disrupted sleep and ruined ride are not enough for me to complain about the rain.  It is so desperately needed that is is most welcome here.

Cheers!



No comments:

Post a Comment