Monday, November 14, 2011

Locker Room Pep Talk

Yesterday morning I got home from work about 11, slept until 3 and then spent a rather embarrassing amount of time trying to motivate myself to do my swim workout, pack and drive home.  I decided that the best way to make sure the workout got done was to not allow myself to leave the city until I had completed it.  It was a watery toll booth on the exit ramp to the weekend.

As I was getting ready in the locker room with this feeling exhausted, bitter and sporting an "I don' wanna!!" attitude, I stopped myself.  I said to myself "This is what it's about.  Right here, right now.  Not when it's fun, or easy, or when there is someone watching, or when there is some perceived glory to be gotten.  Now.  Do you want this or not?"

That swim was the best workout in a long time.

2 comments:

  1. I frequently fight what I call the CBA (couch to butt adhesion)...Breaking through the "don't wanna" feeling to get in a workout is the best :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol! I know all about the CBAs! They are truly paralyzing. Too funny.

    ReplyDelete